The history of the château

A history dating back at
least to the 15th century

A record of the estate’s existence goes back to the 15th century in the form of a lease contract drawn up in the Gascon language on parchment. The origin of the TrotteVieille name, according to legend, is that a curious old lady living at the place at the time used to trot down regularly to the post house nearby in order to get the latest news!

The 18th and 19th centuries :
a succession of owners

Before the French Revolution, the land at TrotteVieille belonged to Jean Laveau, the owner of Château Villemaurine (a Saint-Émilion Grand Cru Classé). In 1841, Isambert, a lawyer and the owner of Château L’Evangile in Pomerol, acquired the property.

« In 1867, Château TrotteVieille
was awarded a gold medal at the
Universal Exhibition. »


In 1868, the estate was acquired by two new owners and divided up into two parts, one of which went to the Dumugron family. In 1874, the owner of the château was Alexis Dumugron. A few years later, in 1886, Pierre and Edouard Jean became his partners.

…and reunification

In 1898, the estate was reunified under the management of Edouard Jean. In 1908, his son Charles Jean succeeded him. From 1929, Joséphine Gibaud, Charles’ wife, took over the reins until 1942 when the estate went into the hands of the heirs Charles Jean and Joséphine Gibaud.

From 1947 to 1961 :
Marcel Borie
at the château’s helm

In 1947, after falling in love with the estate, Marcel Borie, the Managing Director of the Bordeaux wine merchant house Borie-Manoux, purchased Château TrotteVieille from Charles Jean’s two grandsons.

« In 1955, the estate was classified
Saint-Émilion Premier Grand Cru,
a rank which it has maintained to the present-day. »

From 1961 to the
present-day :
from the Borie family
to the Castéja family

After Marcel Borie passed way, Émile Castéja, his son-in-law, took over the estate. During the 1990s, Philippe Castéja, the son of Émile Castéja and Denise Borie, took over the running of Château TrotteVieille.

During the 2000s, Émile Castéja and Philippe Castéja launched Vieille Dame de TrotteVieille, the Second Wine of Château TrotteVieille. As from the 2010 vintage, the Second Wine’s name changed to Dame de TrotteVieille

In 2012, Château TrotteVieille integrated the vines of the four-hectare Château Bergat, a Saint-Émilion Grand Cru Classé.